Chemical Usage with Animals

All chemicals are going to have some disadvantages when it comes to disinfectants. Antibacterial products are going to be less harmful than fungicides. Fungicides will most likely have a higher chance for side effects, such as respiratory or allergies. Some products are not really intended for animal care, such as improper use of chlorine dioxide.

The following information will help provide you the knowledge on what may be best for you to use on your pets:

HEALTH GUARD with 25 years of success, uses a specialty formulation of Triclosan as its active ingredient. Triclosan is classified as an antibacterial verses a fungicide, which is a good thing. Triclosan is highly active against the fungi associated with ringworm, while some of the fungicides on the pet market are actually active against fungi only associated with agriculture plants, not pets.

The down side to triclosan is its long residual activity. Concerns of triclosan reaching waterways and affecting fish populations is extremely remote. In fact, there is no scientific information on any dosage of triclosan ever reaching fish populations; except what an environmentalist may conjure up. This product is active against good and bad bacteria, ringworm, and will exhaust itself long before it reaches a sewage treatment plant or waterway. With 25 years of success, history speaks for itself.

CHLORINE DIOXIDE is an antimicrobial “GAS” that is used as a effective disinfectant and sanitizing product. The key word is “GAS”, and if not used properly the activation to Chlorine Dioxide can cause SEVERE respiratory and eye irritation in humans and animals.

In order to use this product at a unknown exposure level or confined area, such as a cattery/kennel in your home or barn for that matter. The law requires you or the person applying the product to wear chemical resistant clothing, including nitrile gloves, and safety eyewear. It is also required to wear a HIOSH approved half mask respirator with organic vapor/acid cartridges.

There is very sophisticated equipment used by industrial complexes and medical applications that will generate Chlorine Dioxide “GAS” in a safely controlled atmosphere. Very dangerous chemicals are used in order to achieve a 100% conversion rate to Chlorine Dioxide “GAS”, in industrial applications.

What is available to the public is a make it yourself method, which will only produce a 20 to 30% conversion rate to Chlorine Dioxide. Here is where it can become even more dicey! If you do not have a 100% conversion rate, you end with up with leftover acid and chlorites. Abnormal amounts of Chlorites may cause METHOGLOBIN in cats. Acidified sodium chlorite is not table salt.

A silver lining to this dilemma is to hire a HVAC company with experience in this procedure along with liability coverage. Just make sure you vacate all animals before treating.

OTHER DISENFECTANTS: In reference to the many shampoos, sprays, tropical creams, wipes, etc., that are on the market today. Some of these products contain chlorhexide gluconate, ketoconazole, miconazole nitrite, lime sulfur, which have been known to cause allergic reaction or side effects to small animals. Some of the side effects may include seizures, skin rash such as hives, swelling, itching, and dryness. Ketoconazole is also linked to liver damage or difficulties in breathing.

Chlorhexidine Gluconate at very low dosage has been used as a germicidal mouth wash. At higher dosage it has been used as a surgical hand scrub, and may cause a chemical burn to the skin. Its activity against m-canis ringworm is unknown. Lime sulfur has a disgusting smell and is highly recommended to wear gloves. Known to stain white coats, or corrode personal items, and furniture. Allergic reactions may include diarrhea or vomiting.

NEVER mix two or more products together.